Friday 4 September 2015

Flights of Fantasy - Michelle Miles

RATING: FOUR STARS

Flights of Fantasy is a charming anthology by the indie author Michelle Miles. As the name suggests, it's a work of high fantasy and is filled with elves, magic, dragons and more. The book leaves very little for a fantasy junkie to crave and contains several stories, which are listed below:

Dragons of Emhain: The Usurper
Eorwulf
Dragons of Emhain: The Dragon Master
A Dance Among the Faeries
Dragons of Emhain: An Ancient Magic
Mingled Yarn

The Good
Miles has done a great job with this book and has created a plethora of interesting characters that really grew on me despite the fact they are only present in short stories. Her characters are believable and I really felt for them through the disasters and events that unfolded through several, superbly written stories.

Miles really let her imagination run wild throughout this anthology and her Dragons of Emhain stories are particularly good. I'm not sure whether these are linked to a bigger piece of work she has done, but I really hope so! The stories in Flights of Fantasy seem like snippets of a larger book and I'm dying to know what happens overall!

The Bad
Like most anthologies, Flights of Fantasy has some stories that are better than others. As I've said above, I particularly enjoyed the Dragons of Emhain stories, but many of the others weren't really my thing and I found myself skipping through some of them. That being said, I would like to state that there was nothing wrong with the ones I skipped and they were as well written as all the rest in the collection - they just weren't my cup of tea as stories!

My Thoughts
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with Flights of Fantasy since I hadn't read any of Miles' works before. Her stories are well, written, immersing and imaginative. I really rate this anthology and suggest it as a good time-killer for all of you fantasy fans out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment