Monday 31 December 2012

The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr - George R. R. Martin

RATING: FOUR STARS

I must confess that I've not read many short stories in my time, mainly because I prefer to invest in long novels that I can really sink my teeth into and presumed that this would not be possible in a shorter piece of work. However, my finances have been a bit strained lately and I've found myself looking more and more at some of the short stories written by my favourite authors - mainly, due to their cheaper price!

And so I was quite surprised when I downloaded The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr onto my Kindle and found that many of my assumptions about short stories were wrong! Written in the same gripping and masterfully vivid prose that I have come to expect from George R. R. Martin, The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr is a delightfully interesting short story about a mysterious woman who is able to walk between different worlds using special gateways.

As she passes through countless worlds, she is constantly searching for her lover, a young man who was taken from her by the powerfully evil Seven many years before. And so, it is on one of these worlds that the woman stumbles upon Laren Dorr - an exiled and rather lonely god who has long been prophesied to love her. The mysterious woman decides to stay with the god, at least until she's recovered from her many injuries, and learns that the god loves her - suspecting that he will try anything in his power in order to keep her there with him...

Final Thoughts
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr, finding that it was every bit as detailed as many other 'full-sized' novels that I've read. In fact, the short story painted a satisfyingly vivid picture of a perfectly beautiful, yet sad world that any fan of fantasy and science fiction will appreciate and enjoy - making it a perfect way to kill a spare hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment